Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Wound care dr appt today

Had the vacuum and sponge painfully removed (ripped out, since it was really stuck in there), and had my wound poked and prodded at.  I can't even express how much I hate this part of the whole thing.  So the Dr. came in and he pointed out that I have a muscle in there that looks like it died.  Goodie.  I asked what would happen with that, and he said A. it would liquify and cause problems/infection, cause that smell from before, and visiting nurse would certainly send me back to hospital or B. it would do nothing and healthy material would grow around it.  With the luck I have been having, I am placing money on scenario A.   *sigh*  Right now, dr wants to leave it alone and give me another week of the wound vac, while hoping for the best.  I have another surgery scheduled for next Thursday.  At that surgery, they will most likely remove that dead muscle, any other dead material and they will close this hole up a bit more at the top and bottom, making for a smaller wound.  I am kinda excited about the "making a smaller wound" part of the surgery.  Not looking forward to more general, more pain, etc.  But I will do what I have to do to one day get normal and recovered here. 

Now I just have to hope that that dead muscle doesn't start up another infection in there.  Its right there in the open, being looked at every other day, so they will know right away if it does.  And thats reassuring I guess, as much as I hate having this all taken out and being poked and prodded in this sensitive wound area.  Have I said how much I can't wait til this all a distant memory??  One step at a time....one day at a time...sometimes one hour at a time....

No comments:

Post a Comment